Saturday, February 19, 2011

Whole Wheat Oven Baked Pancake

I love breakfast! I really enjoy pancakes but I find them a little tedious when making them the traditional way on a griddle or frying pan. So on this beautiful, yet cold Saturday morning I decided to try an oven pancake. This particular oven pancake was quite different than the ones of my childhood but just as delicious! This isn't your traditional pancake not only in regards to the method of cooking but in it's texture and taste, think of it more as a pudding rather than pancake and enjoy!


Whole Wheat Oven Baked Pancake


Ingredients:
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground flax seed
1/4 cup butter
1 mashed banana
1 cup milk
3 eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
Directions: Preheat oven to 425. Melt butter in a greased 9" pan (I used a round glass one, maybe it is 9") in the oven. Combine the sugar, cinnamon and flax. In a blender or using a mixer, whip eggs, banana, and milk. Add flour and beat until well combined. Pour batter into pan with the butter (I gave it a little stir, more like a swirl to just to sort of mix the butter in with the batter). Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix (no mixing here this makes delicious topping). Bake for 20-25 minutes. The original recipe says to bake until puffy and golden, however because I used brown sugar so it doesn't really ever turn golden. I did a toothpick test (stink a toothpick or knife into the middle of the pancake, if it comes out clean it is done, if not continue baking) at 22 minutes.

Please try this recipe out and let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment