Saturday, January 21, 2012

Spelt Upside Down Pizza

The other night pizza was on the menu but I am still trying to find the perfect pizza crust recipe, and with our recent convictions in 'grain diversification' I am looking for a kind of crust other than wheat.  I have tried both a yeast and a yeast-free spelt dough recipe.  The first one I tried with yeast rose like crazy and was quite good.  But I have this habit of googling recipes and then forgetting to bookmark them and I haven't been able to find that recipe since, plus our family likes a thinner crust.  Before our grain diversifying days I was using a delicious biscuit crust... so I tried a spelt biscuit crust!  I have tried it twice but haven't been too crazy about the results.  The first time - it was more like a cracker than a crust!  So on this particular night I had spent too much time searching for a recipe that I couldn't make a yeast crust (I also didn't have yeast), but I did find a recipe for 'upside down pizza' - so upside down pizza it was!

Spelt Upside Down Pizza
Ingredients
1/2 red onion
1 green pepper
6 fresh button mushrooms (not really sure how much that is)
6 pieces of turkey bacon (the kind from Costco)
2 gloves of garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2 tbsp spelt flour
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese

Topping
1 cup spelt flour
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
In a skillet saute the onions, pepper, mushrooms, and garlic till soft.  Add the the turkey to warm it.  Stir in the flour and spices, mix.  Add tomato sauce, bring it to a boil for 2 minutes and continue to stir.  Transfer to an ungreased 13x9 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle with the cheese.
For the topping (I use my kitchen aid mixer) add the flour to a bowl, beat in the remaining ingredients.  Pour over the casserole.  Bake uncovered at 425 for 25-30 minutes or until browned.

It was so easy and tasted great.  My husband said it tasted like a pizza pop!


No comments:

Post a Comment